Thursday, March 5, 2015

Cindies Short Story Series: BESOTTED

BESOTTED a novel by Cynthia Kalu

So, guys, i have been working on this novel of mine, still work in progress though, but i thought to myself, "why don't you, yes, you my blog pals weigh in on it?"  good idea? Enjoy my own effort and let me know what you think. I am pretty sure you will like it..
































So here it goes...




Excerpts



CHAPTER THREE(3)
We have been in the village for five days already, and things seem to be taking shape concerning the burial of my Father. We have concluded plans to bury him in three weeks and preparations have been set in motion.

After a very long meeting with the elders,I decided to see the village. I have no friends here only cousins; and having been away for so long, I don't think most of them will still recognise me. But i think I miss this place and my people.

As I strolled down the narrow pathways that thread clusters of thatched houses, I saw my cousin Emeka climbing a palm tree. I was fascinated and mesmerised by the way he worked himself around and up the tree, it was beautiful and rhythmic so I decided to watch(oh, how i wish i could record this with my iPhone and put it online on Facebook or somewhere, I bet it would give my friends back in the city a good laugh). He had a round object like a basket around his waist and a rope to his legs which was helping him move up the tree. Tied to the tree were mini calabash kegs which have been placed up there for days to receive the juice coming from the palm tree.

He reached for one of the calabash,hanged it to his waist, and made his way down. On getting down,he saw me and with a warm and hearty smile walked up to me and shouted those silly greetings we were used to as kids "Kelechi nna, Agu, Nwoke Ukwu, hope you are enjoying your stay in the village, my run away cousin?" "I am indeed my brother, its very beautiful and peaceful, unlike the city that is full of noise, the food also is fresh and all the bush meat. Enyi oma how is our favourite river Ngila now, do you still do your high jump from the cliff into it?" "Old habits die hard, city boy, I hope you can join us first thing at dawn when we set out?" he said as we both laughed....

Flashback Chapter one(1)
Jayden sat in the dark in his office pondering on the day’s event; he could not understand how his father he saw this morning hale and hearty is now laying in the mortuary dead. I have to call mother because she will be expecting dad’s call by now and she will become worried if he missed his usual 10pm call. Mother is a heart surgeon she is currently in Abuja for a conference. She loves my dad so much as they have been married for almost 35years.at first they could not have kids so they decided to focus on their careers, seven years down the line they had me and five years later they had my kid sister Bailey.Mother never ceased to talk about how my birth was a miracle and despite all the challenges she went through, my dad was a pillar that could not be moved by her side. Now I have to tell her that pillar is no more. Bailey I have not called her yet, am so confused and don’t know where to start from. My God!Life is so unpredictable; Dad was such a vibrant man so full of life and intrigues, always seeing the good in others no matter their shortcomings. I have always wondered how he turned out to be such a wonderful man and an amazing father, am sure going to miss him. I have to call mum now Jayden said to himself.

“Hello mother”, “Jay baby how are you?“Am fine mum, how is the conference going?” “Good son, I haven’t heard from your dad tonight, I was just about to call him, it is weird son but I thought I saw someone that looked like your dad this morning on my way to the conference venue. Hope he is not still in the office? You know he needs to rest and take his medications.”  Mum…”  yes baby why do you sound so tired? Mum am afraid I have some bad news, dad……jay what happened to your father? He had an accident on his way to work this morning mum and he was badly injured mother, he didn’t make it. Humhumhum mum… are you still there? Jay, I don’t understand what you are telling me so please pick me up in 2hrs because I am coming home.


Shortly after speaking to his mother, he had called his sister who screamed and fainted after hearing the news, she was revived and is now also on her way. Standing at the airport waiting for my mother and sister feeling numb,tried and hungry,I have not had anything to eat in the last twenty four hours and sleep? That is a luxury I can’t seem to afford right now,my dad was a very happy man,he never like sadness and never harbor unhappy people or thoughts. He was a businessman,who has a vast amount of wealth and friends all around the world. He was a fun loving man and if he was here he would kick me in the face and say “come on son put a smile on that face,it’s not the end of the world”.


Lost in thought I was brought back to reality by the of the mega phone announcing the arrival of passengers. I saw mother and bailey approach me, their eyes so red from crying and lack of sleep. OH! Mother I to them into my arms, am the man of the house now so I have to brave up and don’t break down in front of them. Jayden, take me to my husband, I need to see my husband and know what happened to the healthy and vibrant man I left three days ago mother said weeping uncontrollably.On the to the hospital, neither of us spoke, I only heard silent sods from mum and Bailey. She was daddy’s girl and I know it must be very hard for her to comprehend the fact that dad is no more. Mother was grieving, and all I wanted to do was tell her not to worry that everything was going to be alright.Its a known fact that she cherished my dad, He was her world and she didn’t mind if he the universe no longer exit as long as he was there with her. As a young child I had come to love the idea of a perfect marriage because I could look at my parents and say indeed there was a perfect marriage. They were so much in love with each other and she always made us know that our dad is the most important person in her life.

.......

3 comments:

  1. My data network been messing up, aarrrgghh!!. Nice, lovely story to build up. Your tenses are irregular though, is the guy telling the story or the story is been narrated about the guy, a bit confusing. Also, frm wot i've read, it's like you'll be having flashbacks;correct me if i'm wrong please, good transition btw chapters is very important so readers don't get confused,you can check this book 'Envy' by Sandra Brown, the story flow was superb. For the first few chapters i've seen, thumbs up!. Fingers crossed to see your published book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emife,am still on the drawing board on this, am sure it will be better by the time am through.

      Delete
  2. You welcome dear, waiting to see it in hardcover!

    ReplyDelete