Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Book That Changed My Life: Sophie Moss Picks Sea Swept by Nora Roberts

You know how prettier you feel, as a girl, when some smart thoughts cross your mind? hmmm, okay nah see me, but seriously i had such a thought this morning. See, i just thought of how books are among the main things that change our lives. Books changed my life, and positively too and I have read stories of how books and novels changed famous and not-so-famous peoples lives and i want to share those stories with you my blog pals and i hope you share your stories too of how any book changed your life. Today, i will share a story about how the novel Sea Swept changed a young woman, Sopie Moss's life. 


Read and get ready to rent some great novels that just arrived our library. hmmm. fun day ahead, buckle up. 


Hear her story

The Book That Changed My Life: Sophie Moss Picks Sea Swept by Nora Roberts

I was 19 when I read my first romance novel. It was the summer before my sophomore year in college and I was back home in Maryland, living with my parents and waitressing at one of the waterfront restaurants in St. Michaels. One day, my mom handed me a copy of Sea Swept by Nora Roberts. She had just finished reading it and had loved it.

Sophie Moss 

I immediately turned up my nose at the thought of reading a romance novel. I was studying English in college, reading ‘important’ works by Chaucer, Shakespeare, Austen, Hawthorne, and Dickinson. But my mom insisted I give it a try, and since we have the same taste in books, I finally agreed and wandered outside to skim the first few pages.

I didn’t move from that spot for the rest of the day.

I was stunned by how well Sea Swept was written. The characters were complex and interesting. The story was compelling. The setting was beautiful. And the ending made me believe in true love all over again. I had always been a hopeless romantic and a total sucker for a happily-ever-after ending, but I had never imagined that I could connect so deeply with a book that was basically written for pleasure.

For the first time, I thought: “Hey, I could write a story like this … and wouldn’t that be fun?”

Four books later, I am now living my dream and working as a full-time author. Thanks to my readers, the first book in my new contemporary romance series, Wind Chime Café, hit the USA Today Bestseller List recently.
I have returned to my roots with this new series, setting the stories in a small coastal town in Maryland, on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay, just like Sea Swept – the book that first inspired me to become a writer.
I am very grateful to Nora Roberts for unknowingly showing me the path toward my dream of being a writer. I hope that one day I'll get to shake her hand and tell her that.

Oya, over to you.
Share your story. 
 

 

2 comments:

  1. My best author of all is Francine Rivers.
    I love all her books.
    The way she recreates bible stories is out of this world.
    I love love love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow! I love her too,Bridge to haven is my favorite of her books.

      Delete